Not everyday am I going to make fantastic progress. My goal today was to revisit a bad paint job I previously applied. I almost never revisit previously painted models. First because I look at it as a sort of record of where my painting skill was, but also previously I never found I had the time. Today when rummaging I came across a mini I had shut away cause I had rushed it so much and really hated the look of it. I was mostly curious how I would approach the same piece without really changing the color scheme. I left the colors the same except I drastically lightened the skin and darkened the hair. I picked this model mostly because I wanted to practice a bit on the skin tones as I have a barbarian model I really want to get correct. I think the skin is getting better, but still not where I want to be. I think the recesses need even more contrast. The rest of the colors are certainly brighter and more crisp and I am working better contrast into all my models. I wish I had taken a before picture to show the progression, but as this is a personal exercise I got what I needed out of it.
The one thing that still bugs me about this model is that there are a few mold lines I missed the first time around that are somewhat obvious to me. Since I was repainting I should have just filed/cut them off but for some reason I didn’t. I have a dozen of these models (from Wrath of Kings) to work on so I need to be more careful in the future. Something as simple as a mold line can really throw a decent paint job. Overall I turned a model from unbearable to look at, into tabletop quality. Thus I suppose I completed my task. One of the next things I want to try is some basic Non-metallic metal techniques, and incorporate them with metals.